The Marinid Madrasa
Salé
The Marinid Madrasa
Free entry is granted to the Youth Pass Holders
Salé
The Marinid Madrasa
Free entry is granted to the Youth Pass Holders
Description
The Medersa of Abu al-Hassan, built between 1340 and 1341 by Sultan Abu al-Hassan, is located in the Talla district near the Grand Mosque. Considered one of the masterpieces of Merinid architecture, its entrance stands out with an elegantly crafted semi-circular arch and frieze, which give way to stone steps leading into a spacious rectangular courtyard. The courtyard, surrounded by four aisles, above which rest two storeys, containing small rooms that were formerly used by students.
The rectangular prayer hall is covered by a roof with a central dome, and a beautifully carved wooden frieze runs along the walls. The Medersa is particularly celebrated for its elaborate decoration, including zelliges, plaster friezes, and carved wood, as well as columns topped with stone capitals decorated with foliage and snails. Over the centuries, This historic building has undergone successive restorations: first in the late 18th century by the Cadi of Salé, Mohamed Ben Haggi Zniber; again in 1864 by Mohamed Ben Abd El-Hadi Zniber; and later by the Fine Arts Services during the French Protectorate.